At some point, you might be a victim of chest pains, mostly resulting from weightlifting to general health complications. The pains can also be a result of an underlying medical condition like coronary artery disease. Dr. Rishin Shah is the leading Frisco chest pain expert using state of the art technology and diagnostic testing at Prime Heart and Vascular in Texas. Dr. Shah is meticulous and highly skilled at diagnosing heart-related conditions.
What is Chest Pain?
Chest pain manifests in different forms that can appear as non-life threatening. The pain can appear in the form of a dull aching or a sharp stabbing. In some cases, chest pain can spread to other parts of the body like the jaw, neck, and arms.
Chest pain can be caused by panic attacks and extreme stress that is accompanied by profuse sweating, fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, increased breathing rate, and other uncomfortable symptoms. Other causes of chest pain include:
- Injured ribs
- Heart attack
- Sore muscles
- Collapsed lung
- Aortic dissection
- Heartburn and digestive disorders
- Pulmonary embolism
- Peptic ulcers
- Esophageal hypersensitivity, rapture, and contraction disorders
When to See a Doctor
Chest pains should be treated as symptoms of serious underlying health problems, making it necessary for you to seek immediate medical attention at the first sign of pain. You should also visit your health provider when you have concerns about new or unexplained chest pain, and also for regular heart checkups. When you exhibit symptoms of a heart attack, chest pain, and difficulty breathing, you should seek immediate medical attention.
How is Chest Pain Diagnosed
At Prime Heart and Vascular, Dr. Shah uses the following diagnostic methods for chest pain.
- Holter Monitoring – Dr. Shah uses a Holter monitor to record the electrical activity of your heart over time. The device monitors your heart for a period of twenty-four to seventy-two hours.
- Electrocardiogram – Dr. Shah places electrodes on your skin to record the electrical activity of your heart during an exercise and while at rest. The test helps the doctor to determine the health of your heart muscles and your chances of suffering a heart attack.
- Stress test – A stress test is crafted to raise your heart rate with exercise or medicine. A series of heart tests and imaging are done to asses the response of your heart.
- Echocardiogram – The echocardiogram test includes the procurement of an ultrasound of your chest. The ultrasound delivers meticulous images showing structures of the heart in detail.
You are advised to get regular tests to improve your chances of living a healthy life that is free of chest pains, heart attacks, and a load of uncomfortable symptoms. After the test, the doctor drafts a customized treatment plan. The treatment plan includes a bypass surgery, stent placement, artery relaxers, and medication. You are also subjected to nutritional and lifestyle counseling to improve your chances of eradicating chest pains and cardiovascular complications.
If you or your loved ones are having chest pains or concerns about heart health, you should make a call or book an appointment online at one of the three branches of Prime Heart and Vascular.