There is no better way to start a new season than with a clean, organized, and clutter-free house. End of summer offers an opportune time for you to get rid of unwanted and junk items from your house, before the fall.
Ready to start a new season in a clutter-free home? Try these helpful decluttering tips for any space in your house;
1. Get a plan
Before you start your decluttering project, set your goals, and make a plan on how to achieve them. No matter how much clutter you have to get rid of, create a plan with specific achievable goals to work with. Check out the pointers below to help you come up with a good plan;
- Map out your entire house with all the rooms that you can consider as ‘clutter hotspots’.
- Set a schedule, or a deadline for completion of each room. But avoid setting tight deadlines or long decluttering sessions. This will reduce frustrations caused by failing to achieve the set goals.
- Set it as a challenge- this will make it feel more like a game and make it more enjoyable.
- Start with small tasks. Commit to complete the small tasks first before tackling the bigger tasks. This gives you a sense of accomplishment and helps you to build up your momentum.
2. Sort out your items
As you go through your house, you will require a sorting system for the clutter. Create your own system to help you manage it. You can put your items into three boxes; To keep, Recycle, or to get rid of.
3. Let go!
To truly declutter your space, you need to let go of all the unwanted and unused items. Start by taking everything out. Once everything is out, take a little time to decide what you need to keep and what you don’t need.
Doing a thorough decluttering, you need to purge every item that you don’t need and any that you do not use. As you go through your items, ask yourself, do I need this item? Does it add value in my life? Have I used it in the past year? If your answer is no, it’s time to let the item go.
4. Clean up
Cleaning helps you to collect and get rid of all the trash from your house. When cleaning, start with assembling all the needed cleaning supplies. Then collect all the trash in your house and proceed with your general cleaning routines. You can also repaint your rooms and coat your floors during this stage, to restore their lost glory.
5. Organize like a pro
Now that you have chosen the items to keep and you have cleaned, it’s now time to organize your space. Here are some genius organizing tips you can use;
- Sort your items depending on how often they are used. Keep your frequently used items where you can easily access them.
- Make use of shelves and cabinets. Shelves and cabinets can help you organize your closet or kitchen space more efficiently.
- Use clear storage bins or boxes that you can easily label. This will help you avoid searching through each box when looking for a particular item.
- Keep like things together- you will not have to send out a search party next time you need them.
A truly organized and tidy space is quite easy to maintain and keep up with. But if you find your space is still getting cluttered quickly, take time, and re-evaluate. Are there too many items in your house? Are you placing your items back to the right places after use? Are you doing a lot of searching and shuffling things around when trying to retrieve an item?
Once you have identified your problem, do a little tweaking on your organization routines to help you create a lasting solution to your clutter problem.