Table of Contents
Are you undergoing a home renovation project for your metro Vancouver condo? The chances are that you might require a proper permit to ensure that there are no legal issues or penalties for the same. Building permits are known to be daunting and complicated. This holds true especially when you are naïve and new to the concept of home renovation or construction permits in east Vancouver.
If you are new to the overall scenario, and require assistance, you can go through this post. In the given post, we aim at highlighting the important pointers that help you to understand the permit application process in North Vancouver for a home renovation project. If you are in need of any ideas for your renovation also check out this URL for inspiration: https://www.strawhomes.com/mls/west-vancouver-condos/
What are Home Renovation Permits?
There are several aspects of a typical home renovation project. For instance, you might require a series of simple additions like installing a nail in the wall for hanging a picture or you could also require some major remodeling implementations in the entire premises. Whatever might be your requirements, the chances are that you would require a proper home renovation permit to get the most out of your project.
It often becomes a difficult situation to determine whether or not you require a proper building permit in metro Vancouver for undertaking the home renovation project. The local departments often tend to lay out various rules with respect to the application & granting process for permits. At the same time, there is no denying the fact that most departments out there have given commercial interests priority than that of the projects undertaken by the homeowners. At the same time, the departments are also known to be highly biased out of necessity when it comes to serving the licensed contractors, the trades, and the builders in general.
While permit requirements might vary from one city to another, you should note that there are certain common criteria that help in identifying the specific permitting requirements. Some of the famous criteria that are used in this context are personal & public safety, natural gas, plumbing, and electrical aspects of the renovation project. The projects that tend to touch these aspects might require permits from the local concerned authorities.
Permits Required for Your Condos Renovation Project
Whether you are remodeling your property or opting for a BC Vancouver condominium to make it your dream home, you should know about the building permit in the region in-depth. To see more ideas, check out this Greater Vancouver homes for sale page. A building permit can be defined as a form of legal document that is signed by the given city. The same document is used for listing all the construction as well as renovation sites that have been given approval. The document could also include in-depth details about your renovation project.
When you live in metro Vancouver, Vancouver, then you should be aware of the common instances of renovation permits that you might be required to obtain from the local authorities. Here are some points to consider:
- Projects related to new construction
- Exterior alterations or additions to the given space
- Demolition of a building to carry out the renovation project
- Renovations or repairs of heritage homes or traditional sites
- Renovations of sites that are located in Gastown, Yaletown, or Chinatown in the province
- Any changes to the respective use of the land or the building –either fully or partially
How Long Does it Take to Obtain a Building Permit?
The timeline for the building permit in case of a renovation project would vary depending on the district from which you are applying. At the same time, it would also depend on the overall size of the project. For instance, if you are implementing a renovation project for one-family or two-family dwelling like a condos, then you can expect the waiting time to range from 2 to 8 months.
On the other hand, if it happens to be a small project, like just a kitchen or bathroom renovation, it will take a considerably less amount of time to obtain the permit from the respective authorities. If you are running short of time and wish to complete the renovation project within a few months, then it is highly advisable that you should seek services from a professional contractor or service provider in the region.
Renovations that Require a Permit
Some of the common renovation projects for which you might require a permit in metro Vancouver are:
- Fences: While not all fences might require a permit, still certain municipalities are known to put restrictions on the overall fence height for non-permitted fences. For instance, there are specific areas that would require a special permit on the fence height reaching above 5 feet. There are other areas that would require you to obtain permits for increasing the height of fences to a limit above the normal standards.
- Installation of New Windows: The replacement of a new window would not require a proper permit. However, when you cut a hole for the installation of new windows at your condos, then you might require a permit from the local authorities. This would include the installation of new doors and skyline as well.
- Electrical or Plumbing Repairs or Renovations: If you are carrying out some major plumbing or electrical remodeling or repairs in your home, then you might be required to obtain a proper permit for the same. A job that would require the installation of specific plumbing or electrical parts with the help of some contractor would need a special permit to allow the same. Even something as simple as moving the outlet would require a permit.
- Structural Changes: A renovation project that involves major modifications or changes to the entire support system of the house or property in which you live would require a proper permit. Such changes might include the ones that are implemented on porches, balconies, decks, and load-bearing walls.
Once you are aware of the essential permit requirements in your area, you can look forward to a hassle-free renovation project for the condo in which you live.