Table of Contents
First of all, you need to accept that mold is everywhere. Not the harmful kind, but spores of various types of molds are indeed all around us and they are largely harmless.
However, if they find a suitable environment to thrive in, you may get a slight annoyance, like a molded piece of fruit, or you may end up with some more serious problems like a black mold infestation.
So, how would you know if you had a mold problem that needs your immediate attention? People at Emergency Home Solutions tell us about some symptoms which you should be on a lookout for.
You’ve Had Water Problems in the Past
Whether it is a burst pipe, or a flooding of any kind, if water breached your house and parts of it were under water, a suitable environment for mold growth has been developed.
Mold loves dark and damp places, so be on a lookout for any such place in your home. Basements are one of the most common places mold can take up residence and silently grow. Similarly, attics in houses with faulty roofs can become a hotbed of mold.
Your walls can also be a place where mold can have free reign if you’ve had a burst pipe. Hidden from sight and fairly inaccessible, your walls may hide the mold for a long time.
Strange, Musty Smells You Can’t Explain
Sometimes, you won’t have wait so long to discover that you have mold problems. If mold is not too out of sight, you may be able to smell it.
The musty smell of mold is pretty difficult to mistake for anything else, so if you do smell it in your home, look around for any other signs of mold.
Even if you don’t find any, it may be a good idea to call in professionals who will conduct a more thorough and professional inspection.
The Obvious Signs of Mold
Damp walls will eventually become so moldy that you will be able to see the black or yellowish discoloration on them. But at that point, the mold has been there for a long time and may have done some serious damage.
Not only walls, but also floors and especially ceiling tiles, can be hiding the mold infestation and especially in rooms which are adjacent to water sources.
If you discover mold in your walls and ceilings, the remediation process is going to be a long one. You will need to take out all of the walls which have been affected and replace them with new ones.
Mold can damage your house and cost you a lot, but the aspect you should probably be the most concerned about is your health and that of your family.
Namely, the black mold strains secrete a substance called mycotoxin which can cause a series of different symptoms.
It can start pretty innocuously, like coughing or having a catch in your throat, but if not treated and remediated, it can escalate to a sore throat, watery eyes and nausea.
Even though these symptoms are hard to distinguish from a cold or an allergic reaction, the symptoms should be localized to your own house, which should help you figure out that there is something wrong.
Some people claim that mycotoxins can even be responsible for some deaths, but it has never been confirmed. However, doctors have concluded that the people who are the most at risk are children, old people, and people with chronic illnesses, so pay attention to them in particular.
Mold may start off as a nuisance, but it can escalate into something quite a bit more serious if you leave the problem unattended.