Windows and doors serve a load of purposes in our houses. They protect us from extreme heat and cold by shutting it off. They also serve as a medium between our home and the outside, letting sunlight and breeze in. They provide us with security from stray animals and strangers. The window experts share their insights on the most common windows and doors problems found.
Common Problems with Windows and Doors
Condensation happens when water vapors come in contact with cold surfaces and turn into tiny droplets. You can see condensation commonly in the winter months. It can form between the window panes and on the frames. Control the moisture content inside your house to tackle this problem.
Mold also causes due to moisture. It can also be the by-product of condensation. Mold can cause harm to your health. It can give rise to problems like itchy skin, breathing problems, and even asthma in some cases. Removing any mold from your house is extremely important before it develops into a bigger problem.
Drafts allow air from outside into your house. It can lower the house temperature significantly in winters. It can happen due to improper fit of the windows, cracks in the windows panes, or broken seal. Drafts can be hard to spot, but if you feel air coming into your house despite doors and windows being closed, it means there are drafts somewhere. Use your senses to find its location.
It is better to fix drafts immediately. If not, they will let the outside air into the house. It will cause a spike in your energy bills. Correcting the drafts present in the doors and windows will give you comfort, as well as save money.
Leaking doors and windows can cause a series of problems. It will cause wood rot on the frame and paint peel on the walls. Small leaks generally happen due to cracked caulking. A small leak is easy and inexpensive to fix. A big leak often requires changing the doors or the windows.
Cleaning Windows and Doors
Cleaning the windows and doors is the first step towards their maintenance. Clean them at least once a year. The best practice is to clean them every six months. It will ensure that they look great even after years. They will also work like new for a long time.
Here are some methods to clean the windows and doors:
- Dust the door and window panels.
- Disinfect the handles and locks on the windows and doors.
- Dust the hard-to-reach areas with an unused and dry paintbrush.
- Use a diluted soap and water solution to wipe the frame.
- Use a solution of vinegar and water to clean stubborn stains.
- Lubricate the hinges with a light oil or silicone spray.
- After cleaning wood doors and windows, wipe them with a cloth and leave them to dry thoroughly.
- Check the caulking seal against the glass and repair any cracks in them.
- You can remove the internal screens in winters to avoid condensation on the glass.
- Use automotive paste wax on aluminum frames to give them shine.
How to Deal With Moisture
In winter months, condensation can expose the windows and doors to a lot of moisture. It can cause them to develop mold and mildew. Condensation happens when water vapors liquify after coming in contact with cold surfaces. There is more condensation in spaces with higher moisture content.
This moisture comes from the shower, laundry, cooking, dampness, etc. It can condense on glass, frames, and panels alike. Controlling the moisture content inside the house will protect the windows and doors and prolong their lives. Given below are some tips to control the moisture content inside your home:
- Keep the relative humidity in the range of 30-40% in the winter months.
- Repair any leaks in your pipes and dry the surrounding space immediately.
- Keep plants, newspapers, clothes, and compost bins away from damp areas.
- Provide sufficient ventilation for hot tubs, showers, and the cooking area.
- Your dryers should vent outside the house.
- Inspect the shingles, flashing, and chimney caps in the roof regularly.
Replacing the Windows and Doors
When doors and windows get too old, no amount of maintenance can restore them to their original condition. Then it becomes crucial to replace them with the new ones. New windows and doors will provide you with a lot of benefits. The major ones of them are as listed below:
- New doors and windows will provide an excellent separation between the inside and the outside of the house. It will result in a more comfortable environment in your home.
- They will prevent air from coming into your house from the outside. It will save your energy bills from extra heating and cooling.
- Older windows and doors can have cracks and holes in them. It can let unwanted pests inside the house. An excellent solution is to install newer windows and doors.
- Newer doors and windows will look polished and enhance the looks of your house. The beauty will add to the resale value of the home.
Check out more of our windows and home repair posts.